- Review: 'Peace and order'; 'freedom and exhilaration' and the role of catharsis.
- Recall: the peace and order apparent at the familyfest; the KorpsStudent., and another. The Stab in the Back; and another. perspectives on Versailles treaty. What was lost... Tho somewhat
later, the Nazi perspective on
- Some Politicians: Max
von Baden; Liebknecht; Stresemann; Ebert; Groener;
Rosa Luxemburg; Noske, the Kaiser
in flight; reaction in
the streets. Those responsible.
- Street fighting and political struggle. Nationalism and Internationalism [the latter advocated by the Socialists and Communist; the former by the 'middle', the right and the army]
-- the "Deal": moderate Social Dems and the Center parties are ready to cooperate with the right to secure peace and order. Consider the various armed groups: one for each party; the police; the demobilized soldiers; the Freikorps [paramilitary], the officers,
- Sailors revolt; in Berlin and again; in the marsstallhof
- Spartacists at war
- Street fighting and again; order and law
- flags on tenements
- Kapp Putsch; happy new year 1920. street agitator-Grosz .
- Kapp was not a capitalist, but sought to unite nationalism, socialism and youth [army vets not girls!!]
- Bavarian Freikorps; Nazis march in Munich in 1923
- Some other veterans: Dix Skatplayers. Georg Grosz: the war hero;
- Influenza :
- "In 1919, a second, highly contagious wave of influenza appeared with a vengeance in the fall of that same year. Victims died within hours or days of their symptoms appearing, their skin turning blue and their lungs filling with fluid that caused them to suffocate. In just one year, 1918, the average life expectancy in America plummeted by a dozen years."
- and in Germany: Am häufigsten starben 1918/19 die 15- bis 30-Jährigen, a rate of almost 60 / 1000, well above the national death rate of 25 /1000 for the Spanish flu. Normal from all causes is 10 /1000/ month.
and Social Instability [against a background of urban violence].
- The search for food, and again
- Georg Grosz "Hunger"; "Neid";and the contrast: speculator and friend. An encouraging sign of normality returning.
- hunger, children, and civil war. housing for poor and again;
- Election results. We will return frequently to this graph. The End of the Road.
- Science: Einstein's theory confirmed in 1919. The Idea and the Press.
- Recall how WW1 war was financed. ; and the reparations ;
- Social commentary: Not 'peace and order' but 'freedom and exhilaration':Tea dance. high society. morning at 5am ; Grosz: Promenade, Power and Poverty; early spring; pappi&mammi; ecce homo!; in praise of beauty; schönste Beine; dedication to Freud.
- Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari ; setting; power; hypnotism .